Monday, April 21, 2008

--The Hunter and The Hunted--






"The Hunter and The Hunted"
-
"Have you caught any yet this year?" I asked.
The hunter whose path I'd happened to cross.
"A few," he answered, self-assured.
As he looked straight ahead at the trees.
-
"What did you do with the ones you caught?"
I questioned him further while we walked along.
-
"I did what I could,"
-
He said to me as he smiled and dodged the branches with ease.
-
In silence we traveled for nearly a mile,
my rifle was poised and ready to fire.
But there was no sign of the game we were hunting;
No sounds, no traces, no glimpses...........nothing.
When we were exhausted we sat on a rock
and watched the geese fly overhead in a flock.
"You never did tell me," I reminded him,
"what you did with your catches,or was it too grim."
-
"I'm sorry,"
-
he said as he turned to meand looked in my eyes so familiarly.
In an instant I knew Him and whispered His name,
knowing that I'd never be quite the same.
-
"You let them go, didn't you?"
That's just what you'd do. I guess I would to if I had to, like you.
-
"He smiled gently and said,
-
"No, that's not how it's done.
I saved them, my Child. Every last one."
-
-
-
-
-
-

No comments: