Saturday, August 2, 2008

--D.E.V.I.L.s...D.R.U.G.s...D.O.C.T.O.R.s...--

Before I ever faced the true nature of my addiction, I was busy trying to take care of my addict (now ex-husband). It used to drive me nuts that no matter what I did, no matter how much love I showed him in every way possible that I could think of, that he could NOT see the pain/suffering he was causing.

I did not understand why love alone wasn't enough to 'cure' him.It wasn't until I was taken to rehab myself that I learned of the disease concept of addiction. Yes, I know, there are those who will argue it is not a disease, but I firmly believe it is. The disease concept makes it much easier for me to understand why I did what I did, in spite of everyone's best efforts, and also my ex, and my oldest daughter, who is still using to this day.

It has also helped me to detach with love from the addict.

Cancer is a disease. No matter how much we love someone, we cannot 'cure' them or put their cancer into remission....

It is the same for addiction. That isn't to say that love and support can't help someone who is in recovery.My oldest stopped by yesterday with the grandchildren. It's sad because I look at her now, and the daughter I used to know isn't there, at least not visibly.

I know that daughter is there deep inside somewhere, but for now, the disease has taken over her. I have no more control over her disease than I do the war in Iraq.I had to let go and let God when it came to my oldest daughter and my ex. I know, for me, I had to reach a bottom where I was finally able to reach out and ask something greater than me to release me from my hell and help me start my life over.

The addicts in my life deserve the same opportunity in their lives to either eventually embrace recovery, or live their addictions till they die.

For those of you who are asking at this moment, why can't love be enough? It's simple. You are no longer dealing with just a human being, you are dealing with a disease that has completely taken over his/her soul. Although I can be sarcastic and skeptical at times, I still believe in the inherent goodness of mankind, and I have yet, over the past 20 years, to meet a recovering addict/alcoholic who wasn't a kind, caring, loving soul.

I continue to keep everyone in my prayers, my own family, the still-suffering addict, and all of you out there whose lives have been forever changed because of the addict/s in your lives.
~
~Tenderhearts

Yes,Of Course there is hope. Hundreds and perhaps thousands of meth addicts recover everyday. This forum has plenty.

~Sfj

Re: Why love isn't enough
Where there is breath, there is always hope.You may not be able to live with the person in the process- but there is always hope.No love is not enough but it sure can get lucky sometimes and be a push in the right direction or a hand to help up.There is always hope as long as there is breath..

~imlostinky

~~WE NEED HOME~~
~
~
~~AND ONLY HOME CAN DO US THE BEST~~
~
~
~~PLEASE HELP THE ADDICT~~
~
~~WHO NEVER TAKE THE DRUGS FOR THE ENJOYMENT of HIMSELF~~
~
~
~~PLEASE....~~
~
~
~

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is great info to know.